NextGen: Teen Leadership in the Arts
Become an integral part of an acclaimed off-Broadway company and experience theater as you never have before. At Classic Stage Company, we focus on plays from the past – but we know it’s important to keep a clear eye on the future — that’s you! As a CSC NextGen member, you’ll see plays, go behind the scenes, meet artists and theatre professionals, learn new theater skills, and lead special events for your peers.
CSC NextGen encourages all eligible high school students with an interest in theater to apply. CSC values diversity and provides equal opportunities to all employees and programming applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. In addition to federal law requirements, Classic Stage Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in every location in which the company has facilities.
For full consideration, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a high school (grades 9-12) at the start of the 2020-2021 school year
- Commit to the entire nine month program (September-May), with mandatory meetings twice a month on Mondays from 4:30pm to 6:00pm on Zoom
- Demonstrate leadership skills or potential and a desire to learn about all aspects of professional theater.
- Attend high school in the NYC/NJ area. Although sessions will be virtual for the first time ever this year, NextGen is designed to serve students in the local community. When the theater industry is able to reopen safely, we hope NextGen will be able to resume meeting in person. For that reason, applicants from outside this geographic range will not be considered.
How to Apply
To be considered for a NexGen position, please submit all materials to our NextGen Online application* by September 22. Selected applicants will be contacted regarding a video interview by Thursday, September 24. Interviews will be scheduled Friday, September 25 – Monday, September 28. Applicants who are selected as NextGen members will be notified by Tuesday, September 29.
- Contact information (student, parent/guardian, emergency)
- Short answer Essay Questions
- Letter of Recommendation from a professional (teacher, program coordinator, religious leader, mentor, etc.)
- Signed permission form
*Please note: a Google email account is needed to access and complete this application. If you do not have a Google account, you may create one for free in just minutes. If for some reason you are unable to register for a Google email account at this time, please email Marella Martin Koch at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the application in an alternative format.
Please contact our Education Coordinator Marella Martin Koch at email@example.com with any questions.